Zucchini cake bento



After spending the whole evening on the phone with the helpdesk (with constantly the same Santana music as long as I was on hold) because the newly installed wifi still doesn't work, I didn't have the courage to start making a bento on Monday night. So yesterday, I just ate a ready-made pasta meal I put in the microwave.

I missed my ordinary nice lunch though, so even if I was tired last night, I decided to go and make myself something nice. So here I am, back with a new bento.

Sweetie's bento has meatballs (leftover from dinner), more carrot kinpira (I'm really hooked on those) and rice with a cheese star. The rice is from the one I froze on Monday and I really like how even after heating it up, it kept that round form from how I wrapped it up in foil. The cheese star is a cutout from a babybel cheese that I dabbed with pimenton dulce for a colour accent.

The bottom tier has half of a zucchini cake with the second half of the cheese star, daikon/carrot swirl, yellow and red cherry tomatoes, radish and mozzarella balls. I am really starting to get a hang of my vegetable cutters. Only problem I still have is liberating the swirl from the remainder of the vegetable. Practise makes perfect they say, so I guess I just have to practise more :o)

How-to zucchini cake:




For 6 minicakes, I used :

- 120 g self-rising flour (or you can use all purpose flour with yeast, which you add at the very end, just before putting it in the oven)
- 70 g grated gruyere cheese
- 70 g grated parmesan cheese
- a medium-sized zucchini
- 7 cl milk (I used semi-skimmed)
- 7 cl olive oil
- 2 eggs
- salt & pepper

Preheat the oven at 180°C.

Shred the zucchini. I kept a 5 cm long end unshredded for decorating purposes but that's not really necessary.

Mix the eggs with the milk and oil.

Add the flour and cheese to the egg batter. Before adding the zucchini to the batter, you have to remove excess liquid. This can be done either by squeezing the shreds with your hand or by pressing them in a sieve like I did.

Add the zucchini to the batter and mix all the ingredients together.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.
(If you used all purpose flour, this is the moment when you should add your leavening agent. )

At this stage I decorated the cakes with half slices of zucchini, but this is optional.

Spoon the batter into the individual mini cake forms and put them in the oven at 180°C for 30 minutes.

As with ordinary cakes, check if they're done by sticking a knife or pin into the cake. If it comes out clean, it's done :o)



And my owan tsukimi accompanied me to the office today with in the bottom bowl a linguini salad with zucchini, asperagus, tomato, bell pepper and tomato, mixed with legumaise and with a few large shrimps.

In the top tier I added the second zucchini cake half, carrot kinpira, a takuan star (first time I taste takuan and I quite like it), zebra tomato (nice to look at but the taste isn't great unfortunately :o( ), the last of the edamame salad and another carrot/daikon swirl.

Bon appetit !

No comments: