Bento as therapy

It has been five long months since this bento blog was last updated.  My silence wasn't supposed to last, a little break, just the time of my holiday, but May brought serious health problems to my sweetheart and dealing with that new important fact in my life made me put quite a few habits on the backburner.  When things were finally looking up by September, we left for 2 weeks of relaxing holidays under the Spanish sun... where I had a close encounter with the gravel of a parking lot. I didn't wish for ripped ligaments as a holiday souvenir but that was what I got, as well as a nice new piece of fashionable footwear i.e. a cast. My planned return to bento had to be postponed.

Last week, finally free of the annoying cast after hobbling about for a month, I immediately started planning my first "back to bento" post this weekend.  I was eager and ready to go. My first bento post after my long absence would be happy and cheerful, and I planned to post it on Monday evening after work.

I seem to have real kharma issues though, or as a friend told me, I'm "really getting the short end of the stick lately". Because I had a nasty surprise when I returned from the office Monday evening : someone had broken into my home and had searched through the whole house.  Needless to say that posting to BentoBliss didn't even cross my mind that night. I was much too shaken, trying to deal with police and making a list of what had disappeared.

Saying that I am over the whole invasion of my privacy aspect, would be a lie. I no longer feel safe in my own home and am torn apart : I'd like to stay home just to make sure they don't come back, but at the same time I don't want to stay, precisely because they could be coming back. The cops said I should try to get on with my life and not become a hostage of my own fears.  Easy thing for them to say of course, but I know they're have a point.

Making a bento is my first step in getting my life back on course.  It's silly really, but it helps me focusing on easy to handle things without getting swept up in a maelstrom of anger, fear and other feelings.  For the time being, bento making will be my therapy.  Hopefully, I'll soon be able to consider bento as I did before : a fun challenge of making happy lunches, without any ulterior motives. Fingers crossed.

1 comment:

Andi said...

Oh no, that is really terrible. They says things happen in threes so maybe everything will be alright from now on. Looking forward to having you back and seeing your daily creations!